Radio las vegas cusco online dating
Pánfilo de Narváez gave Havana – the sixth town founded by the Spanish on Cuba – its name: San Cristóbal de la Habana.
The name combines San Cristóbal, patron saint of Havana.
Shortly after the founding of Cuba's first cities, the island served as little more than a base for the Conquista of other lands.
Havana began as a trading port, and suffered regular attacks by buccaneers, pirates, and French corsairs.
The treaty gave Britain Florida in exchange for the return of the city of Havana on to Spain.
After regaining the city, the Spanish transformed Havana into the most heavily fortified city in the Americas.
They rested here until 1898, when they were transferred to Seville's Cathedral, after Spain's loss of Cuba.
Less than a year after Havana was seized, the Peace of Paris was signed by the three warring powers thus ending the Seven Years' War.
Conquistador Diego Velázquez de Cuéllar founded Havana on August 25, 1515, on the southern coast of the island, near the present town of Surgidero de Batabanó, or more likely on the banks of the Mayabeque River close to Playa Mayabeque.
All attempts to found a city on Cuba's south coast failed.
Contemporary Havana can essentially be described as three cities in one: Old Havana, Vedado and the newer suburban districts.
The city is the center of the Cuban government, and home to various ministries, headquarters of businesses and over 90 diplomatic offices.